Wednesday 4 November 2015

It's That Time of Year Again

Well, it's that time of year again - World Travel Market, one of the world's big travel trade fairs. It runs for 4 days and I usually go on at least two of them, because it's always fun. I went yesterday and today.  Today, the Docklands Light Railway wasn't running to the exhibition centre, so I took a different route. The Emirates Air Line - the Thames' cable car crossing - is not expensive but it usually costs something. however, today it was free as a result of the strike. And what a good idea it was. So much better than reaching the exhibition via that revolting utilitarian light railway.  Here is the view as your car is about to launch out over the Thames.  


The scene below is being furiously redeveloped, so it changes every time I cross.  Poor old London has been covered in fog for several days and that has now lifted to leave greyness. 


The big building on the left in the picture above is The Crystal. It's a little known exhibition by Siemens. the highly innovative German engineering firm. It's one of the world's most sustainable buildings, and the ground floor is mostly given up to interactive and imaginatively presented information about creating sustainable cities. It is much better than it sounds - and they have never publicised it properly, which is strange. I went round it once, but today I was heading for the EXCEL exhibition centre..   

I had a couple of useful meetings, but a lot of what I like about World Travel Market is the surreal effect of lots of different countries doing their best to market themselves in eye catching ways.  I love to just wander around and look at what is going on.

The Falkland Islands, for instance, is now trying to sell itself as a bird watching destination and they have come up with this rather depressed looking penguin as a mascot.  From all accounts, that woolly hat he is wearing will be essential in the windy Falklands. There was a free trip going there so I applied for it. I'm unlikely to get it but it will be an interesting experience if I do!


Sorry for the quality of some of the shots.  My camera battery ran out and so I had to use my phone. Its lens is not in good shape as the twins are fascinated by the phone and always grab it with their sticky little hands whenever they can. (One of them also likes sucking it )

I was very taken by this young man with bowler hat and umbrella,  walking soberly and silently around the show.  When I photographed him he solemnly gave me a card about various attractions in Belgium.  Do you see the reference to Magritte? It is the cloud covered face that gives the game away. 


Belgium was also publicising The Herge Museum, a mecca for all fans of Tintin the Boy Detective. I think is much bigger than it was when I last visited Brussels and I would like to revisit one day.   Which is your favourite Tintin character? The Thompson Twins are mine, (since we were talking of bowler hats....) 


I was so impressed by this fierce looking character below that I didn't note the name of the country he was representing, but it might have been Indonesia.  


And could these characters below have been from Costa Rica?  If so, I would dearly like to know the people they represent. They remind me a bit of the "giants" which are paraded around in parts of France and Spain at festival time, but they definitely weren't in the European part of the show. 


Oh dear, I'm not informing you very well, am I? But I can tell you for sure that this guy in the red outfit was on Costa Rica's stand, which was a very good one. He was sculpturing things out of some very tasty pineapples (which I presume are grown in CR) and also giving away free samples. 


This gent comes from Sibu Chocolate, also in Costa Rica.  He was giving away samples of the chocolate, (which certainly is superb), and also making and giving out the kind of drinking chocolate that people originally made in that part of the world.  It is flavoured with the various spices shown on the plate in front of him.  That includes a fair helping of chilli and I have to say it makes a delicious drink. Perhaps one day it will become popular in fashionable cafes - it's miles away from the sickly sweetness of commercial hot chocolate. 


It is very exhausting at the show. You always end up with loads of leaflets, carriers and free gifts and so in the past I have found the press centre to be a welcome haven.  This time, it wasn't restful at all, a bit like a railway station waiting room. I think this reflects the lessening importance of the press to the travel trade, (although that's only my guess.) It was even less restful when I happened to visit, since it was packed with dancers, singers and musicians. They were wearing such sensational costumes that I didn't mind giving up the peace and quiet, though. 


I was also given a free gift of this charming proboscis monkey from the Malaysian Tourist Board. I am not a fan of soft toys as a rule but I fell in love with him. I'm now trying to think of a name - any suggestions? 


I specially like seeing the the smaller and less well known places and companies which exhibit at the show.   I'd certainly like to go to the Soviet Lifestyle Museum,in Kazan, in Tatarstan, Russia.   Kazan had a beautifully laid out stall that included this garrment-with-a-story. 


A father wanted to create a fashionable jacket for his daughter, but, as was common in the days of the Soviet Union, he couldn't acquire enough materials to do the job. So he patiently assembled 120 identity card holders - which were easily available - and created the jacket out of them. 

Mongolia had a delightfully pretty and well arranged stand full of artistic displays of felting in the most wonderful colours.  (This link describes Mongolian felting, and I specially like the song accompaniment.). Also check out this site for some wonderful pictures. 

Apart from the monkey, my favourite free gift from the show was a DVD from Kazakhstan, entitled 



If you read Russian, please tell me what it says! [** PS, Nadezda has now kindly translated in her comment on this post, below. Thank you , Nadezda!]   I was of course baffled but the photo intrigued me so I took it and played it in the evening, after getting home. (I returned via the Emirates Air Line, of course - I do recommend this trip). 


The five films on the DVD have English subtitles, and although the translation wasn't good, I could understand enough to know what they were about, and I was gripped.   They are made by an outfit called +362. They explore the Mangistau region of Kazakhstan, which is largely wolf-ridden steppes by the look of it, and they take photos and make films, and , guide "extreme tourists" on enormously challenging expeditions. They also run slightly less fearsome projects with local young people, camping by the shores of the freezing sea, horsing around, and generally having a great and uncomplicated time.   

They don't try to glamorize or sugar coat their trips, or make them look cool, but simply tell the experience like it is, and this gives a feeling of great authenticity.  I now feel I know a bit of how grim, austere and hard it is even if you have a car and modern communications - but also why it is fun, how good it is to work together, take risks, be resourceful and brave and push yourself to the limits. Your reward is the chance to see and explore wonderful sights that few other people ever get to see.  Because believe me even if you go by car it is no picnic, since even roads are in fairly short supply in the region.  


There was a lot more to see but as ever I don't want to go on for too long.  Here to finish  here are the explosives sniffer dogs which now roam the exhibition halls. They look a bit fierce but they are lovely dogs and their owners seem devoted to them. 
   



75 comments:

  1. Oh wow, such a lot to see there and interesting stuff as well. Such a lot of walking too... how are your feet now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feet are OK but it is just exhausting constantly being alert, and of course I do have to meet people there too as well as attend a seminar and event or two.

      Delete
  2. Did you notice if Nepal has a stand? I know they were hoping to come, and that it would help turn their tourist tide, but it maybe the fuel crisis has meant they couldn't get here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they had a pretty big stand. I took a photo but it was so rubbish that I couldn't post it. I am intending to send it to you by email,

      Delete
    2. Thanks - I'm really pleased they managed to get there.

      Delete
  3. That looks a pretty interesting exhibition, Jenny - certainly a lot more interesting than most that I have attended in a professional capacity! I must try out the 'Emirates Air Line' next time I'm down in the smoke - something else for the list. As for your Proboscis Monkey - can I suggest 'Bill'?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting event. I would love to go to something like that as it is not at all traditional or what is usually seen in promotional market. Especially our Western travel venues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, what a day out! I've not heard of this show, but sure looks interesting and entertaining. And a few monkey, great stuff. I'm good at naming cats ..... but not monkeys. Actually once had one as a pet, centuries ago, and called him Peter, after Peter Tork of The Monkees. LOVE the header with the cat, gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are good at naming cats, I loved the picture by Marie Cecile Thijs on your blog!

      Delete
  6. You could have kept going for a very long while...fascinating post and appreciate the information and photos!
    There's a t.v. show in the USA called NCIS...Naval investigators...the new guy is called a proby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Durante is a proby in our home.... well, he seems to have acquired a name after all after reading the suggestions here :)

      Delete
  7. This looks like a really fun exhibition to visit. You get a taste of so many places without showing your passport.

    We have seen foggy London Town on the news this week. It saddened me as a dear friend was visiting after dreaming and planning this trip for a long time. I am sure that she will have a good time anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that your friend caught the fog, although I think this makes London look rather beautiful and atmospheric. Mostly, it hasn't been bad weather, and very warm for the time of year so I think you'll find she was OK.

      Delete
  8. So much going on in this big world of ours! As always, you open a window through which I can view some of it and I am grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the great things about blogging, isn't it!

      Delete
  9. Wow -- this looks like a blast! An exhausting one, to be sure, but a fun one! I can see why you'd be tired and maybe even a little overwhelmed! Hope you win the trip promoted by the depressed penguin -- he needs all the friends he can get! As for the monkey, how about "Biscuit"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a beautiful biscuit colour, except for his tail and paws which are black. I don't think he was commercially made, or at least, his label says something like Malaysian Tourist Board. Funny that he looks like a "he" and I never even thought of him being a "she".

      Delete
  10. Such an interesting day, and we're pleased you had the stamina to tour it for us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son lives and works in Kazakhstan and I'm sure he would have a go at translating for you. I'll send the link to your blog in the hope that you might hear from him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Seeing your comment reminded me that I owe you a letter so wrote one last night.

      Delete
  12. Wow, I'd find it fun and overwhelming, what a great event.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for yet another fascinating post. I always learn things here. I would love to ride in the cable car crossing. You mentioned that the ride was free due to the strike. How generous! That would never happen here in the USA.
    I was trying to think of a Malaysian name for your new "monkey" (not an easy task).
    How about Basuki..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed you have a Malaysian suggestion. I looked up Basuki and found he was a stand up comedian - which would certainly suit, as he clearly has a sense of humour. The cable car is a strange anomaly in London. It was built by Emirates Airlines as a sort of publicity stunt I gather and they managed to make it part of the Transport for London authority. So it is a kind of a mixture between tourist attraction and public transport, more expensive than a bus but cheaper than, for instance, the London Eye. Normally it is not very well used because it links 2 places where traditionally not much has happened. Both areas are now being furiously redeveloped so it will probably come into its own soon.

      Delete
  14. A fascinating, informative post, as usual. Wow!
    Those are kind of homely monkeys but sure made a cute stuffed animal--LOL! They make me think of Jimmy Durante--so Jimmy? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of people mentioned Jimmy Durante. I have to say "Durante" is starting to feel like his name.

      Delete
    2. Oh, Durante is even better!! :)

      Delete
  15. That's a lot to take in. Love the proboscis monkey. Can't think of a good name for him, but someone will no doubt come up with a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such and interesting time you had.
    I would love to visit The Crystal and your night view was beautiful. I would use it as a Christmas Crad.
    The Sweet monkey could be Jimmy Durant. He was an American singer, pianist actor and comedian.
    He had a gravely voice, jazz type songs and had a prominent nose. Alway had a big smile on his face.
    After movies he had a TV show that I watched with my Mother.
    So you could call him Durant or even Jimmy.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Parsnip. The general opinion in our house so far is that Durante is the name, and having looked up photos of Jimmy there is a definite resemblance!

      Delete
  17. I know that chocolate from Costa Rica...absolutely superb! I do wish it would catch on...and I wish the country could get together a marketing strategy to highlight the stuff produced by families and small co-ops. There is an exhibition every year in San Jose and I stock up as otherwise you have to dig them out in their own towns to buy. There is a family making chilli sauces flavoured with rosemary, bay and thyme which I am sure would sell well abroad.
    Yes we have the giants...but not usually with that americanised head....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is frustrating when individuals are let down by the infrastructure. I am sure that forming an alliance would be a lot of work and quiet expensive - I don't suppose it is cheap coming all the way to London to WTM so Sibu probably has a sizeable international marketing budget to make it worthwhile. their chocs certainly sell here for absolutely eye watering prices. From what you say in your blog it looks as if it would be hard for many people in CR to take that kind of step up onto a bigger stage. Maybe you should write about it on your blog....?.

      Delete
  18. Jenny,
    the beauties of deserts in Mangistau
    красоты пустынь Мангистау
    creative studio 'expedition +362'
    творческая студия "экспедиция +362"
    I liked your gift, very cute monkey. I'm glad you had fun visiting this show. Did you liked pineapple swan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Nadezda! I will put a note in the post to say that your comment offers the translation!

      Delete
  19. One of the great things about blogging...one learns so much from fellow-bloggers...from the places they visit; from the places in which they live. Every day is a learning day; a learning experience.

    That poor penguin certainly doesn't look happy at all! I feel like bringing him home here to me! He doesn't look like he wanted to be there!!

    Those travel/trade shows are wonderful. I attended a few when I was managing the resort on Hinchinbrook Island. And met so fun people while doing so. :)

    Boy! That fellow carving the pineapple is a brilliant talent!

    Thanks for another interesting post, Jenny, with beautiful photos capturing the vibe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lee. That penguin really made me smile. there were a lot of costumed characters at the fair, but he was my favourite.

      Delete
  20. I feel a song coming on! :-) "Memories, like the corners of my mind..." I used to do the World Travel Market every year for the five and a half years I worked in travel. It was always fun but hard work, too.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that song.... I will look it up on Youtube :D

      Delete
  21. Not only would my head spin after trying to take it all in, i would come away wanting to take a few years off and just travel all of the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has that effect on me too. Well who knows I might get to win that contest to go to the Falklands ! :D

      Delete
    2. It has that effect on me too. Well who knows I might get to win that contest to go to the Falklands ! :D

      Delete
  22. Hi Jenny,

    As per usual, your photos are captivating and your captions informative. The World Travel Market seemed like an exhausting and quite the fun time for you. I felt like I was on a world tour and thanks for sharing this.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great exhibition! Thank you for taking us along. Like you, I would have been most interested in the stands run by the smaller, less well-known countries. The chocolate from Costa Rica would have certainly been something I'd tried, too!
    The stuffed toy reminds me of a teacher we had at Librarian school. Unfortunately, his was the least interesting of all our subjects, and he wasn't a very kind person, so my association is not the friendliest when I look at the monkey ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't help feeling sorry for people like that - horrible AND weird looking! Perhaps one is because of the other.

      Delete
  24. Belgium is surely more attractive than as portrayed by the Magritte clone. However from what i can gather those visiting the Falklands will need bobble hats when there, no wonder the penguin looks dismal.
    This made me want to visit, not just for the flight over the Thames either. I now expect several more blog posts from you from all these nations visited. If you click on 'Fly's' answers on my posts you will learn about Costa Rica as she lives there. Her blog is hilarious!
    Super read at this time of the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks fun. particularly interested to see museums being promoted. Plus love the cable car. Ive seen the exhibition in the Crystal, we thought it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Jenny - World Travel Market looks so very fun and interesting. As a travel writer, you must have gotten motivation to visit some countries. I wonder what is selling points of Japan there? The pineapple sculptures from Costa Rica reminded me of banana sculptures by a Japanese person which I recently came to know on TV show. His work is fight with time as bananas start to go bad fast.

    I remember fondly that we strolled around Nara Park together today last year. Autumn foliage season has come earlier than last year. I think I’ll go to Yoshiki-en Garden where you visited on the morning of your departure soon.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yoko - Japan had quite a large presence in the show. The Japan Tourist Board was mostly focused on "rebranding" Tokyo for tourists.They have called their campaign "& Tokyo" to show that there is more to Tokyo than people think. Here is more information about the re-branding. http://www.ttgasia.com/article.php?article_id=26079 . There were also several Japanese companies at the fair who run tours inside Japan. These companies were hoping to link up with European based tour operators. The companies wanted to guide these operators' European customers around Japanese tourist sights. There were also Japanese hotels and attractions which hope to attract more foreign tourists. To me the most interesting stall was one that was shared between tourist offices of SW Japan and the nearby parts of Korea. These areas are not far apart. They were hoping to encourage people to take a trip from Korea to Japan (or vice versa) and see some of the attractions of both places. I hadn't thought about doing this before and I think it would be very interesting for people who have made several trips to Japan or Korea already. But for me it is not so interesting since first I would like to see more of Japan. The main Japanese area was beautifully decorated with "trees covered in cherry blossom" which were of course not real trees! Oh, and there was also a lady doing Japanese calligraphy who would write visitors' names on a fan, with a small message.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and to answer the point in your second paragraph, we were just talking about the same memory and looking at the photographs! :) we have such good memories.

      Delete
  27. You must have had a great time. I was drawn to the pineapple and the chocolate booths. Everything looks exciting and colorfull tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I am often drawn to the booths with something to eat and some activities to see.

      Delete
  28. You have a way of making everything so interesting even the spit covered phone.;p I love your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amazing! Thanks for the tour. I must agree with you; the Falkland Islands penguin does look very down at the mouth.

    My favourite Tintin character is the old sea captain. Billions of blistering blue barnacles!

    There is a fancy chocolate shop in Toronto that sells traditional Mexican hot chocolate with spicy chili pepper in it. It's quite popular.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What an interesting trade fair! When we lived in South Carolina, we visited an International Festival a few times - probably similar to what your fair was. I still have a coffee mug from there. It's fun to learn a bit about a lot of countries in the course of an afternoon...

    That cable car ride looks like a fantastic opportunity to get a lot of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, what a gorgeous and interesting trip this must have been...Love the monkey!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a gorgeous and fascinating place! Beautiful views and lots of fun and interesting things to see! I love the swan made out of a pineapple! Beautiful, artistic and looks so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great, if tiring, day out, Jenny. It all looks wonderfully interesting, even the depressed penguin! I like that you show us some lesser known destinations. The jacket from Russia is so interesting, and reminds me of the 'make do' fashions from WW11, which my mother used to talk about. The Magritte reference is very subtle and appealing, and the chocolate definitely makes my mouth water! Our son recently brought us some chocolate from Brazil and it was So Much Better than anything we buy in our local shops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think some of this "estate" chocolate is really fine stuff. I think that life under the Soviets might have had some elements of "make do and mend"

      Delete
  34. I was at the Crystal just last week. Didn't know about the travel expo, sounds like a lot of fun

    ReplyDelete
  35. A marvellous eclectic show. For about two weeks I managed to learn some Russian letters and writing in Moldova, but I've already forgotten them. It's so difficult to retain if you don't need them all the time. A wonderful and interesting show indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Russian is a difficult language for English people to learn. I have no aptitude for languages so I know not to try!

      Delete
  36. Woo hoo! The monitor for our main computer has been replaced, and I can now see what is on the screen much better.

    You certainly have some really good stuff to see here. An overhead tram is planned to be built in Branson, which is a town just to the south of us (in Missouri, USA) that you may have heard of. Traffic along the main strip is usually atrocious during the tourist season. So, building a tram sounds like a great idea (unless it comes crashing down, of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if that would be better than crashing down into the Thames!

      Delete
  37. Sounds like a very interesting trade fair for tourism. Of course there has to be one, I’ve just never thought of it before.
    So what happens? Do holiday and tourism companies go there to shop for places to send their customers on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty well. Airlines, people who create travel related software, hotels, inbound and outbound operators, press, destinations and attractions all get to meet each other..

      Delete
  38. Thanks for that interesting glimpse of other countries and their local cultures. I think Snowy is my favourite Tintin character! I like his loyalty to Tintin and his bouncy good nature. I like the young man with the Magritte-style face. The pineapple sculptures are rather fun too. And how ingenious turning ID card holders into a fashionable jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I've not been abroad for a very long time and am unlikely ever to go - but I am now inspired to cross the Thames at least. The existence of that cable car had quite passed me by. And it doesn't look expensive either. Next time I'm in London I'll take a trip on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very nice thing to do in the night time at Christmas as you can then get the river boat up the Thames into central London.

      Delete
  40. Hi, Jenny.
    You needn't publish this comment on your blog - - I just wanted to thank you for your recent comment on my blog. I appreciate the input. I've had many problems with Blogger in the past but I usually don't complain about them publicly. This time I was driven over the edge! I've never previously paid attention to the HTML but I will now.
    Like you, I have considered changing over to Wordpress but it's too much trouble....and I'd probably lose my readers.

    One more thing - I very recently saw you on the BBC documentary "The Secret World of Lewis Carroll". (it's available on YouTube). It's fascinating and I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jon, as I explained in my email to you I did publish this as the option was to delete it (and it's a nice comment) or label it as spam. I have had such a load of hassle with Blogger as I have mentioned on the blog in the past (till I got tired of doing so) :)

      Delete
  41. Wow - that looks like an amazing event! Thank-you for your pictures. I love the Belgian mascot idea - the face is so clever. And that poor Falklands penguin...!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Trade shows can be exhausting. I used to go the NEC for the Education Show (as a visitor, not an exhibitor) and was always shattered for days after. What a lot we have learned by accompanying you to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I didn't know about The Crystal - how odd that it has passed me by. I think CR did a great job - any stand involving chocolate gets my vote. Good luck in the Falklands Islands draw!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I could have sworn tgat I commented on this post, but I don't see me there. The little pumkin is a great shot. They all are, really.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive